Friday, September 15, 2006

excited!

This is how they were originally. I was very excited!

This is exactly what I had had in mind for them when I salvaged them...

image size is only 3.5 x 6.5cm (i.e. 1 3/8" x 2 5/8")

I was still excited!

...but... I became a bit nervous about my pen work when I thought about varnishing them...so I put it off and did a few of these instead.

new square mugmats:

...just waiting for firing and cork bases.

These are kinda exciting too!

I'm thinking of putting them up on etsy (I am on a run with updating my little shop) but am concerned about the postage O.S. They are ceramic and the postage price from Australia to the U.S. would be about 2/3rd the price of the actual mugmats!

Today I got back to these and just dove into the varnish and to my horror they did smudge!
No longer very excited!

Do you think they are passable?
They are a bit grey and a little streaky to my eye. I am on the hunt for something that will work better. Maybe spray varnish? Watercolour varnish? or perhaps fixitive first or something...I am going to have to waste some of these wooden lovelies whilst I work out the kinks.

...and yes! The pens are supposed to be completely waterproof!

hmmpf!

4 comments:

pixiegenne said...

i can't tell that they ran from the picture - they look great!
i think you should put the ceramics on etsy. i've shipped my suitcases internationally and people don't balk about the crazy postage. plus, i want to buy one :). you're stuff is just amazing. amazing!

Funky Finds said...

these look fabulous! nice work.

Sally said...

I can't see any smudging either. They look really good - if you know how much they wil cost to post OS and tell people, I don't think you'll have trouble selling them at all.

get zapped said...

Nice designs!